Sunday, March 8, 2015

We Need a Hero: Instructional Coaches in Schools

Of all the articles, I enjoyed reading about instructional coaches in schools the most.  I have been teaching for nine years now and throughout that time, I continue to see the positive benefits of increased credentialed staff in our elementary and secondary schools.  More...warm...bodies!  Not just any warm body, but a skilled individual who can take on the responsibility of adding enriched lessons to the classrooms and who can take away some of the burden teachers are having with regards to implementing the new CCSS.

Just like any position, there will be those who are better than others and I've seen a small portion who should "get to know their job description a little better," but overall, the coaches have been a welcome addition to my classroom.  I think coaches work best when their help is regular and their duties are consistent and transparent.

At one school, (my God I've worked at sooooo many) the math coach had a small room from which she worked and she set up a check out system for all math manipulatives so that everyone had access to them.  Genius!  We were expected to return them when we were done, and there was a little card left behind that had our room number and name so that in the meantime, if someone else needed that exact manipulative (maybe there's only a few available) they could visit that teacher to let them know they needed it too.  It was based on mutual respect and sharing and I loved it!

At that same school, the math and ELA coaches had monthly meetings with each grade level at our grade level planning time.  They were always looking ahead at future lessons and concepts and had sample lessons and suggestions for all of us.

At another school, the ELA coach was not so effective.  She would come to our room if we requested and would prepare something the day before or, in many cases, not at all.  It was obvious.  Coaches and other out-of-the-classroom positions can add support to teachers and students, but only if they are expected to provide a high-quality, consistent program.

2 comments:

  1. You are extremely lucky to have professional development and support. At our school, there is zero professional development and very little support that is actually productive. Having a team of people that work together helps student achievement and teacher moral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have been lucky! I would have liked teacher morale to have been better at some of the schools, but professional development is part of the LAUSD structure so that will never change. Even so, what I find most helpful are incredible coaches who fulfill their job descriptions and assist teachers. Not everyone is cut out for the position. Those that see it as an opportunity to improve practice at the school are my heroes!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.