Sunday, March 1, 2015

You don't need to SELL me on SEL! :)~

I really enjoyed learning about Chris Opitz's classroom in Anchorage, Alaska.  His approach to using SEL strategies with his math lessons is inspiring.  I agree that teaching students how to interact with each other in a group setting is key to facilitating group work throughout the year.  Furthermore, SEL supports 21st Century learning skills that we are implementing in our current curriculum.  As teachers, it's our job to teach students these interactive skills so that they can eventually compete and flourish in their work environment someday as well.  Tinashe Blanchet's approach is also incredible.  I love that she took an idea that was supposed to be a one time thing and turned it into a curriculum.  The students have gained so much more than math content from both of these inspiring teacher's ideas.  I want to know - What are some of your favorite breakthrough ideas from your lessons?  How did you come about the ideas?  Were they student-driven?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.