Sunday, March 1, 2015

Using Real World Data and Making Tens Made Life Easier!

I enjoyed the video "How to Teach Elementary Math Through Real World Data."  Using a store platform to help students connect addition and subtraction to the real world is fun and engaging.  Even with my kindergartners, I feel I can simplify the activity and use whole numbers, be they dollars or shells or just counters, rather than using larger numbers or numbers with decimals.  Students LOVE playing store and acting out real world situations and this would be a great activity to connect what my kindergartners have been working so hard on right now with learning their addition facts.  I'm excited to find a way this week to do a little "store" time and it will be a great segway into subtraction for them.

I also enjoyed the discussion about making tens to add.  I actually did not have such strategies myself until I went back to school to be a teacher!  I was never introduced to the idea of making tens in grade school and I just can't believe it.  It is for this reason that I love using ten frames with my students.  It's easy to show 8+6=14 as (8+2)+4= 14 with the frames and two-sided counters.  These math tools and the concept are not new, but they are effective and give teachers a strategy to teach our students.

1 comment:

  1. Susan, I also enjoyed the video! I remember enjoying playing "store" growing up at home and at school. It was a fun way to practice math without actually realizing that I was working on my math skills! My first graders are always eager for imaginative play, especially if they get to play an adult role. Store is a great way to do this in math, and i'll have to implement it somehow soon!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.