Sunday, March 15, 2015

NSI

NSI (number sense intervention) makes an enormous amount of sense to me. I have been very vocal about my dislike for our current math curriculum (Envision). I don’t like the scope and sequence of the program, nor do I like that the curriculum only allows for a one way strategy to solve problems. Our current math curriculum concerning number sense goes through numbers 0-10 focusing on one number a day. However, there is no building on number relations for students to connect numbers and see patterns; instead the numbers are taught exclusively and separately. The NSI uses a visual/spatial technique to help students learn to count and develop connections between numbers and counting. It also serves to help students understand parts of a whole, as we introduce addition and subtraction. I think it is a great idea to be nurturing number relationships while students are learning to count and learning the basics about numbers. Why separate the two when they go hand in hand?

1 comment:

  1. Andrea,

    Although I am not to familiar with Envision, I think that the text book at my school is very similar to what you are talking about. Giving students only one specific way to problem solve can hinder their growth. NSI seems like a great technique that should be taught and reinforced throughout all the grade levels. There are some many number connections that students can make and NSI seems to be a good way to combat those basic connections by giving students a meaningful learning experience.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.