The article “School Districts Turn to Teachers to Lead”
explains the growing demands placed on principals and how they are handling the
extra pressure. The article discusses the leadership opportunities teachers are
being given to help principals manage their mounting workload. Teachers are
being given chances to lead professional development, develop policies and
curriculum, and mentor other teachers. While I greatly support the notion of allowing
teachers to have a bigger role in school leadership and programming, I have to wonder
why it took school administrators so long to realize their teachers’ potential.
Why did these opportunities only arise after principals are overwhelmed,
instead of allowing teachers to be a partner in the first place? Also, the
article focuses on the ever-increasing workload that principals face. I would
argue that teachers and school administrators are both challenged with mounting
workloads and overwhelming duties and responsibilities. I think that leadership
opportunities for teachers are an amazing thing, but I also think that school
districts should take accountability and hire the volume of staff that is
needed.
I agree with your point of view. I think that since 2008, when there was so much loss of school funding because of the real-estate bubble bursting, there has been massive organizational change in schools and school districts. The fact that there has been an almost eradication of the position of 'vice-principal' and lack of secretarial support, etc. has created a need in schools.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, school districts should take accountability and hire the volume of staff needed to run schools correctly, without burdening others.