After watching the Myrna video, I have reflected on how to have presented that lesson or interview better.
I have my BCLAD/CSET LOTE certification to be able to teach second language learners in a way that is understandable to the student.
The first time I saw the video, I did not catch the word "brownie." In fact, it took me a while to understand that the video was being translated into Spanish.
I was focused on the student and how she was going back and forth from the interviewer and the translator. The transcript is a little different from the video, so much so that after the first translation of "brownie," Myrna has learned to skip the vocabulary and moved on to what the interviewer and translator want her to do. There is so much talking by the interviewer and the translator that sometimes Myrna (and the viewers of the video) are confused.
As a viewer, I was confused.
Dr. Brie stated that the manipulatives in question were also not very useful to what the student was being asked to do. The visual aid, the drawing of the "little cakes," also was not useful to a child who is/ might be concrete operational.
Having recently taught fractions to third graders, I had to reinforce that the portions/ fractions were to be equally divided. I used quadricular paper to explain the objects that we we sharing, but there were many instances where I drew pictures that probably did not look identical.
I have been thinking about this video all week, because there are so many students that fall into this category, even English native speakers that sometimes ask definitions of words used in lessons.
I just have to be more careful to be more precise and to have different manipulatives that are more useful to a lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.