Sunday, March 1, 2015

Understanding Over Speed

Making Tens-Its Not New Math (2015) was a disappointing reality that some people do not understand the value of mathematical process and the importance of conceptual understanding. Texan Governor, Greg Abbott, criticizes the video "Making Ten" stating that the process "takes too long" and is "overcomplicated". His state has recently abandoned Common Core Standards which I believe is a disservice to the future generation of Texans. True that the simple addition problem 9+6 took about 50 seconds to complete as the teacher broke down the students aimed thinking process--but state governments, administration and teachers must not conflate this as wasted time but instead careful teaching to foster a solid foundation of mathematical principles. Teaching the strategy slowly will increase student's understanding of addition and subtraction (and later multiplication and division)--as the context gets more difficult students will carry their basic skills with them as they attempt more difficult procedures.

2 comments:

  1. This was so nicely written, Hana! I couldn't agree more. Strategy and understanding the basic foundation of math is so important. Who cares how long it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too agree. I thin it is extremely important to lay a proper foundation to increase student understanding.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.