I have always been a great supporter of integrating multiple
subjects in to a lesson and bringing it to life by incorporating real life
situations. For me as a learner, this was the best and most effective way to
learn any skill or concept because it allowed me to manipulate content matter
in a way that was applicable in real life. It was easier for me to make sense
of this situation and understand when, how, and why to apply a concept. I also
found this to be true for my students. The students in my classroom seem to
show more enthusiasm and engagement when content matter is associated to
something they love or show interest in. Similar to Amazing Rainforest article
where students in grades K-6 explore math concepts, which are integrated with
science and social studies content matter.
In the article students learned about math skills such as the number
system and place value by using the rainforest as their setting for
exploration. The Unit outlined knowledge building upon each lesson while also
integrating aspects of science and social studies. This is something I will
certainly love to integrate in to my unit of number system and place value with
my wonderful 1st graders.
I am the same way! If something doesn't matter to me or I am not interested in it, it is so much more difficult to learn or even pay attention to. That is so true for students as well! I skimmed the rainforest article and also really liked the connection it made with math and science/social studies. I liked how the questions built upon each other and got students really thinking. Questions that ask "How" access a greater depth in cognition than simple "What" questions do. Sometimes we aren't allocated enough time to reach that depth with students but it is good to remember how important it really is! Integration is so ideal because one student may dislike math but find social studies interesting and if you give them this rain forest question, now they are suddenly enjoying a math focused social studies question!!! :)
ReplyDeleteDenise, It is so interesting that you wrote about this topic. My class thrives on group projects and relating EVERYTHING to the real world. I recently started a math division project with them. Each group has to figure out how to run a movie theater, it goes so far as to how much it will cost to purchase red vines. It is so interesting to see how they figure out their answers. Like you said, students are more enthusiastic and engaged when they can see a bigger picture!
ReplyDelete"The students in my classroom seem to show more enthusiasm and engagement when content matter is associated to something they love or show interest in."
ReplyDeleteYes! I find this with my students and I find this as a student! Looking back at my own academic career, if I couldn't find a real life connection, I would become frustrated. There were so many times I found myself saying "when am I ever going to use this in real life?" That's why now I hope to be able to make those connections for my students right away so they never have to ask themselves that question!