After reading the article about a Kindergarten student named Kyle and his struggle with number sense, it became clear to me that there are so many students struggling with the exact same problem in schools today. The NSI system made so much sense to be and seemed like it would be very successful for students. I really liked how it emphasized beginning to work with numbers 0-3 and establish a firm understanding of those numbers before moving on. I also thought the chart was great that showed each number being one more than the last and one less than the next. This is a simple, yet so important concept that students must achieve in order to be successful in math. I agree with the language they used as well, such as, "one and one more is two, two and one more is three, three and one more is four, etc." This really shows and explains to students that each number is one more while also introducing addition. They understand the larger the number the larger the quantity. This concept may seem simple and quick to teach, however it must be thoroughly taught and looked at through different ways. Understanding a strong sense of numbers is crucial to further number calculations, word problems, real life problems, mental math, the list goes on and on.
NSI is a great system for struggling students and should really be further understood by all teachers teaching in the primary grades!
Amy,
ReplyDeleteI also liked the language that was being used, "One and one more is two, etc." because it allows the student to understand the concept of addition without making it seem like rote memorization. I think that sometimes we assume that a concept is simple and gloss over it, but that is a big mistake. Strong number sense is crucial and we are setting the foundation for the rest of the students math education.
I absolutely agree with you! I think that is crucial to build a solid foundation at primary levels in number sense. The article also talks about building relationships between numbers (one and one more is two) and I think that is something that we don't do enough of (or at least I don't), and it's really important.
ReplyDelete