Sunday, March 22, 2015

A teacher's ROLE...

I found the article from Perspectives of Early Childhood Education very interesting. It gave much insight as to what teachers are doing now and the role that we play on developing our students' powerful minds. One part of the article I liked was when it talked about assessing a child's performance; teachers need to use a variety of approaches to access learning so that children feel comfortable about evaluation as a natural part of learning. I find this very important because I am always doing informal assessments with my students. Many of my students (and myself) see the word QUIZ and freak out! I try to make my assessments natural so that the students do not feel overwhelmed and are able to perform to their best ability. This article also states that it is NCTM's vision that by 4th grade, students should be confident in their abilities to do math. This has to be done by making sure a strong foundation is built and that we bring in real life situations for our students to understand the bigger picture of how math relates to their lives. Awww, the pressure is on. =)

3 comments:

  1. "I try to make my assessments natural so that the students do not feel overwhelmed and are able to perform to their best ability."

    Morgan, I think this is so important! I feel that informal assessments can show the most because no one feels natural or at ease when they see the word "test" or "quiz." I don't always think that formal assessments are the best way to measure student performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one reason I love teaching kindergarten. I enjoy preparing students for assessments. I try to get them excited, "You get to take your first math test! You get to show me what you know!" They fall for it. I agree with you, "a strong foundation has to be built" in order for students to move forward through their academic career with confidence in assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi girls,
    I'd like to join this conversation and take it one step further-- why don't we empower our students to OWN these assessments. Take the fear and anxiety right out of testing. Why not allow them to propose test questions and create the assessment with us? Nothing better than giving them that autonomy and confidence.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.