Sunday, February 8, 2015
teachers band together
Common Core has caused a lot of confusion and stress among st teachers. A lot of teachers are against common core simply because they don't understand it. I think common core a lot of problems but I think that becoming more cohesive across the grades is a great thing. It allows for the student knowledge to really build upon one another. Having these teachers meet with not just their own grade level but with all grade levels planning together. It makes for a more cohesive school and really will enrich student learning. It also gives teachers time to really break down the common core standards and have a greater understanding of how to implement them. I wish we had meetings like this in my school. I feel it would really be beneficial to our teaching practices and beneficial to student learning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that Common Core is not the problem. I think the problem is more to do with Smarter Balance testing and how scared it makes us. Supposedly Common Core Standards is a guideline. But the passing score for students in New York was in the 30th percentile. What percentage of students are supposed to be above the 50th percentile? 60th?, 70th? So far, there does not seem to be any norms. There are superintendents who want to tie teachers' paychecks to a test that has not been normed, makes it very scary.
ReplyDeleteI think that Common Core is not the problem. I think the problem is more to do with Smarter Balance testing and how scared it makes us. Supposedly Common Core Standards is a guideline. But the passing score for students in New York was in the 30th percentile. What percentage of students are supposed to be above the 50th percentile? 60th?, 70th? So far, there does not seem to be any norms. There are superintendents who want to tie teachers' paychecks to a test that has not been normed, makes it very scary.
ReplyDelete