I have never taught in a classroom with computers/ iPads
before. I am reading a lot of the blog posts and see a lot of talk about iPads
in the classroom. I would probably freak
out if my teacher handed me an iPad and said, “Play the Math Busters game for 20 minutes!” I think games have so much more
of a motivational pull than any other form of instruction… even hands on experiments. When I was teaching the 4th grade
at CHIME Charter School in Woodland Hills, my students would froth at any hint
of an up-coming game. I would create renditions
of common games like battleship, connect-4, chutes and ladders, and
memory! Most direct instruction lessons
would follow with a game and the levels of enthusiasm in students, even those
who “hate math,” is what always motivated me to keep things fresh, creative,
and fun! I couldn’t even imagine the excitement in students using an iPad or a
computer for learning new concepts. I
think it would really help the visual/spatial, interpersonal, logical, and even
intrapersonal students! Being a teacher means that you need to target all
learning types because every student is different. Learning through the use of technology opens
the mind to a different type of learning that might be exactly what some
students need to make everything “click.”
I loved watching the YouTube video “Adding Rigor to the
Classroom.” I thought that everything Mrs. Weigle said made perfect sense. Kids really can do more if you give them the
opportunity and open window to do so. On most worksheets, I would pose a tricky
challenge question at the end that students could work out if they finished
early and if they wanted to exude a little extra brainpower. This would always impress me because students
would come up with the most magnificent procedures to solving these challenging
questions.
I also think that the short video on teaching students math
through real world data just confirmed what I already believe. When someone is trying to teach me something
and I can relate it directly to something I already know a little bit about and
an familiar with, comprehending that topic or concept is that much easier. I think using money is such an effective way
to teach students math concepts because it is something they will be dealing
with for the rest of their lives. Most
concepts can be taught with money. Coins
and fake dollars make for such excellent math manipulatives/ artifacts for
students to play with. Everything from addition to division to fractions to
algebraic variables can be taught with money!
"my students would froth at any hint of an up-coming game."
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to this, Jackie! Last year I would designate Friday's math lessons as "Math games" and week after week, my students would be so excited. We weren't playing anything elaborate and the students were always practicing their math facts... but something about the word "game" really made them excited!