Common core, like it is to many teachers, is entirely new to me. I am not currently teaching so I am constantly learning about it as I hear and read more about it. I recently watched the video "common core in a 9 year old's eyes"and I found it very interesting to gain a child's perspective of this whole common core situation. I was surprised to learn that many of the children in the brooklyn public school were enjoying common core and understood the benefits of learning in "multiple ways."
Specifically with math, one boy mentioned that he is "not good at math." He went on to talk about his appreciation for common core teaching him different methods to find an answer. Now, I am not teaching right now and cannot truly speak on the experiences of teaching with common core. However, after reading and learning about it, it seems that common core could truly be a 'good thing' for learning. It appears that it helps support learners who are struggling with a specific method and could benefit from learning alternate strategies.
I know there is much more to common core that I can learn. On a mathematics stand point, it seems that common core can definitely benefit students by offering multiple strategies. This can support decision making with choosing a method that works best for their learning and also creativity. I'm interested to learn what teachers (who are currently using common core) think about specifically the math standards behind common core. Are children benefiting from this change?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.