The article, "Math Teaching Often doesn't fit with New Standards" enlightens us to research based on collecting the teacher's responses to common core in math. I was surprised to read that many teachers were pretty much happy with the common core change. I am not currently teaching but from the perspectives of current teachers I have encountered, it seemed there was an overwhelming negative response to it.
Last semester I was observing in a first grade classroom at Lorne Elementary. The teacher's main negative response to common core for math and language arts was that there was a lack of materials to help teachers and students. Similarly, I read in this article that the research found many teachers with negative attitudes towards common core math standards was the lack of materials to assist in teaching and learning.
How do current teachers in this class feel about this? Do you agree with this one teacher I worked with? Is there a lack of materials and teaching aids in your classrooms? I am interested to get the perspective of other teachers (in both public and private schools).
I enjoyed reading your post. I love the openness and inquiry you have regarding these new standards and their mixed reviews countrywide. As a new teacher myself, I have found that these are amazing improvements to the traditional state standards.
ReplyDeleteI have found that Common Core Standards are leaning towards teaching strategies like inquiry, interconnectivity, collaboration and deeper understanding of content matter. I understand the frustration of public school teachers that have received little to no preparation time to adapt these standards to their class.
It is the districts job to aid in prepping their teachers for all changes that affect their students/teachers. The burden is equally distributed to the teachers—it is their responsibility to educate themselves on how to implement new standards just as they would new research or findings related to education.
Personally, I have found plenty research and tools to aid in adapting Common Core to the classroom. I have links to sites like ASCD and applications on my phone—both used for helping create lessons based on Common Core. The resources are out there to help!! Good Luck