While watching this video on Against Getting the Answer, it reminded me of a few things that I have done in my class when asking my students to find answers. One was when he talked about the teacher having a discussion about a student not getting the right answer the first time... he talked it through with the class to check for understanding. I think that this is very important because so often we just want to rush through a lesson to get to everything we had planned. We need to remember to step back and make sure that our students truly understand, or what they don't understand so we are able to reteach that day or the next.
Another thing that I found interesting was that many U.S. teachers teach answer getting techniques rather than having the students understand why they are doing the math. The butterfly fraction example really made this point clear.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.