Saturday, February 21, 2015

Sue Lampkin's Lessons


Word problems are extremely fearful for students who have not received a solid foundation and/or influenced to believe that they are not as painful as they think. Moreover, word problems should be given at all ages so because the norm and as organic as reading a book. Upon reviewing Sue Lampkin's first grade class math lessons, I feel she used amazing strategies to help her students gain the insight needed to approach word problems. It is very detailed, properly scaffolded for the betterment of her students. I also like that she reflects on her own teaching. I feel that is something that we should all take time to do so we can grow as educators and be the best for our students. 

1 comment:

  1. Aarika,
    I agree that word problems should be given at all ages. If we start word problems at a young age, they won't seem so overwhelming and difficult. It all starts with a solid math foundation. Word problems have a bad reputation!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.