Monday, February 16, 2015

Dylan is one smart cookie...



Wow, Dylan! This kid is one smart cookie.  After reading both articles about Dylan and his strategies on subtracting multidigit problems, it made me laugh.  I can only imagine how his teacher would have felt, having him explain his logic behind his strategy. As a teacher, I would ask myself, “Should we teach all students his method? Would they understand it better?” I was so excited about Dylan’s strategy, that I even tried doing several different problems myself; his way, and was so surprised that it worked every time. I even showed my husband and he thought it was so cool that a kid, who is only seven years old, can take the fundamentals of simple subtraction and take it into a more complex situation and get the correct answer.  His response was so cute when he was asked to do a subtraction problem with 3 digits and was able to get the correct answer, he knew he got it right.  I was proud of him and I don’t even know him.  Good work Dylan! Can’t wait to see what else you may come up with!

1 comment:

  1. All I could say is WOW! Dylan strategy to subtract is amazing and unique to say the least. I too had to try it out my self just to verify. Its amazing how a 7 year old had the ability and number sense to brake down numbers as he did. I have 1st graders and although we are not yet learning to subtract multi digit numbers, Dylan's strategy is something I am now considering.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.