Sunday, February 8, 2015
Borrowing a one
This article made me reflect on how I teach regrouping and borrowing in my class. Many times I use the idea of the tens place helps out the ones place because it doesn't have enough. But after reading this article I am not sure if I am helping them make a clear connection between the numbers. This article talks about teaching understanding rather than just finding an answer. Though it may seem like extra steps to add onto what seems like a simple answer, but it helps increase the students knowledge of the problem and their number sense.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Shabraya, I just read the article "Dylan's Subtraction Strategy" which you should definitely read and it kind of goes along with what you are saying. It says that, "Dylan's created strategy is a powerful example of how capable young children are of thinking originally about mathematics when they are allowed to develop their own ideas in lieu of performing a learned procedure." Kind of what we do as teachers is teach students a "learned procedure" before ever giving them the chance to "think originally" about the given task, method, and idea. I am yet to have my own classroom but I feel like this article deepened the notion that all kids learn things differently and if given the opportunity and the right conditions, then they are able to figure a lot of things out for themselves… or it least have ideas about it and get their brain thinking! Thank you for sharing your feelings!
ReplyDeleteJackie