Friday, January 30, 2015

Answers are part of the process, not the product.

After watching the video, Against "Answer Getting" by Phil Daro, I felt a wave of disappointment flow through me because I have done this myself and a lot of teachers I work with, now and in the past, have done so as well. For years, teachers have been “teaching to the test” in order for students to get the right answers when taking the standardize test. Now that our students do not take the CST, you would think this kind of practice would cease to exist in classrooms, but unfortunately it doesn't. Daro explains that the goal of the American teacher is teach students how to get to the answer, whereas the Japanese teacher's goal is to understand first, what is the content they need to learn from working on the lessons being taught. How can they get them to learn? I found this inspiring. I have thought this way before and have taught this way, but not exclusively. I want to now only focus on teaching my students what they need to learn in order to get to the answer. I also loved what Daro said about answers being part of the process, not the product and that wrong answers are also part of the process. I want to put up those words in my classroom. I strive to not be an ordinary teacher and this video pushed me to be more aware of that and to focus on becoming a teacher that students will remember for years to come. I feel that when you really learn something it stays with you forever, and it's not erased from your memory after the test has been taken. Thank you Phil!

2 comments:

  1. Well said Verisha! I share similar thoughts regarding the video. It is disappointing but in fact true. But this is where we as teachers take the initiative to change how we are teaching our students. I too would like to place Dr. Phil's statement "getting the wrong answer is part of the process." It can serve as a reminder to all and serve as a bit of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been training myself to ask my students, "Who has an idea in their head?" rather than "Who has an answer? or Who knows the answer?" When my kindergartners raise their hands and get called on, I expect them to contribute, but not necessarily produce the "correct" answer. If they raise their hands and say, "Um," I remind them that they should have an idea in their head to share before raising their hands, not the "answer." If a student is having difficulty, I ask, "Would you like some help?" or "Who can add to their idea?" This verbiage is key (I believe) in creating a safe and prosperous discussion on any topic.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.